If I asked 10 people right now what the most important meal of the day is - I bet most, if not all of them would say BREAKFAST. In my opinion breakfast is the most delicious meal of the day - but not the most important. Why? A few reasons.
1. Every meal and snack you eat is important. Your body is constantly burning calories to think and move throughout the day, so all meals and snacks are going to be equally important!
2. It's more important to be mindful of your hunger and fullness cues than to force feed yourself at breakfast. If you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat! Just make sure you have a well-balanced breakfast or snack with plenty of protein (~15-20 grams) ready for you when you are ready to eat something.
3. 24 hours is 24 hours. Yes, what you eat for breakfast can affect your hunger and energy levels later in the day, but so can what you have for dinner the night before.
Now - enjoy this typical breakfast recipe that can be eaten at any time of the day. This is one of the easiest pancake recipes ever, which is why I took a few extra minutes to make them even more fabulous by adding some coconut lemon cream. It’s so quick and filling that I even have time to make them fast in the morning before I run out the door to work. If the idea of that does not sit well with you – fear not. You can also cook up a large batch of these puppies and freeze them. Then, just pop them in the toaster oven to enjoy.
Banana Oat Pancakes (Makes 2)
- 1 packet quick cooking oats (or ½ cup rolled oats, slightly chopped in food processor)
- ½ ripe banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 T ground flax (optional)
Place banana, egg, baking powder, and flax in blender and blend until smooth. Add to quick cooking oats and stir until well combined.
Place pan over medium heat. Spray with non-stick spray or spread a tiny bit of coconut oil on the pan. Pour batter to form 2 medium pancakes. Flip when slightly browned on one side. Plate and top with lemon cream and blueberries
Lemon Coconut Cream (Serves about 2)
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut butter
Stir all ingredients in a bowl until well combined and enjoy!