When I was in eight grade, my first period science teacher told my parents that I was a "good student" but I always seemed tired in the mornings. He suggested they send me off with a cup of coffee in the morning to "help wake me up." Mr. Marlow... if you're reading this, you probably should have suggested I went to bed earlier!
Yup - you read that correctly. I have a bit of a sweet tooth. I blame my parents being that ice cream was the food they used to teach me how to eat with a spoon.
No doubt, I still love a good ol' fashioned ice cream cone, but I'm always looking for ways to make my desserts a little bit more nutritious to keep me satisfied. Enter: Chickpea Chocolate Pudding.
Its creamy, sweet, and delicious, and you would Nev-er guess it was made from BEANS!
Chickpea Chocolate Pudding
- 1, 15 ounce can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 pitted medjool dates
- 1/2-1 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp almond or peanut butter (optional for extra creaminess)
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Add extra almond milk to desired consistency. Enjoy cold.
What are your favorite healthy sweets?
Cherry Gar-Chia Smoothie (or Popsicle!) Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup frozen cherries*
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cold water (*if you only have fresh cherries, sub ice for water)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (these add healthy fat and protein, to balance out the sugar in the cherries and chocolate)
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate (I used Pure 7 Honey Sweetened Chocolate)
Place ingredients in blender, blend until smooth. Now, you're choice: you can enjoy pour into popsicle molds, freeze, and enjoy later. This recipe makes about 4 popsicle molds.
Now PLEASE tell me you're ready to give up the fake dessert substitutions and indulge in something REAL?