Hello hello! If you were a fan of my 10-minute Plank Workout from a couple of weeks ago, boy do I have a treat for you!
Now that summer is basically here, it's time to shed those sweaters and show of those arms.
This is a focused and challenging workout, and is a perfect follow-up to the Plank Workout - if you so dared to try it!
Like I always say it's super important to READ the cues. Doing this workout without proper alignment and form is virtually useless, so stay present!
All you'll need is a set of 3 lb weights. Once you master those, you can work your way up to 5 lbs.
- Pushup Setup: Start on your knees with hands slightly wider than your shoulders. There should be a straight line between the top of your head and your knees as you draw your abdominal muscles up towards your spine. For this exercise you'll need a small towel. Place under your right arm to start.
- Glide: Glide the towel across the floor to meet your left arm. As you do this make sure you're sliding your shoulder blades down the spine and squeezing through the chest muscles.
- Glide to Pushup: Glide the towel across the floor into a full pushup position. Press all the way back up and repeat 12x. Perform 12x on the left side as well.
- Bent Over Kickback Setup: Stand with your feet hip width apart and knees slightly bent. Make sure there is a straight line between the top of your head and your tailbone, with the abdominal muscles drawing in towards the spine. You'll need a 3 lb weight for this round.
- Bent Over Kickback: Keeping the stance from #4, draw the elbows back behind you, drawing the shoulder blades together and sliding them down and back to relax the neck muscles. This is your starting position for the next exercise.
- Tricep Kickback: Keeping the stance from #5, straighten the arms. Bend, straighten and repeat, squeezing through the tricep muscle. Repeat 25x and hold this position. With the arms straight pulse the arms up and down in a 2 inch range of motion (no bouncing)! Repeat 25x.
- Tricep Extension: Standing straight, hold two, 3 lb weights in both hands. Reach them up and back behind you with the elbows at 90 degrees and squeezing together towards the face.
- Tricep Extension: Starting in position #7, straighten the arms, keeping the elbows pointing straight forward. Move through the range of #7 to #8 25x.
- Optional: Keeping your standing leg slightly bend, hinge forward and straighten the back leg, keeping the hip rotating down towards the floor. Make a straight line between the top of the head and the lifted heel. Repeat #5 and #6 from here.